Foster Home Licensing FAQs

Wolverine Human Services works with the State of Michigan to license foster parents in their homes. The first step is to contact Wolverine human Services at 888-625-8669 and request foster home information.

In addition to attending foster parent orientation and signing an application, which starts the licensing process.

You must hold a foster home license if you are providing care for an unrelated minor and the care will last for more than 10 consecutive days.

You may be licensed to provide care for a relative minor if the related child is a court or state ward and you need foster care payments to assist in providing the care.

  • Marital status (can be single, married, separated)
  • Can be related or non-related to foster child
  • Must be financially stable (able to pay own bills)
  • Able to produce proof of income and current utility bills
  • Have an approved living situation (apartment, house, flat, mobile home, etc.)
  • Able to pass criminal and protective services’ clearances
  • Complete foster parent orientation, Pride foster parent training and CPR/First

Wolverine Human Services will provide orientation to all prospective license applicants. When you file an application, police clearances and a check for a child protective services history will be done on all adults in the home. Medical statements and a TB test will be required for all members of the household. Once the fingerprinting results and paperwork is received, Wolverine Human Services will conduct a comprehensive study to assure compliance with the foster home rules.

There are no guarantees that a child will be placed into your home. Becoming a licensed foster home merely makes the placement of a child possible. Having a child placed is dependent on the “types” of children needing foster care, the availability of beds in the community, and on the placement specifications for each foster home.

Generally, foster children are returned to their birth families. Foster families must comply with the plan when such reunification is the goal. However, when parental rights are terminated, foster parents frequently adopt the children for whom they have been caring.

If your primary interest is adopting a healthy newborn infant, you should contact the adoption department.

You may home school your own children. The agency will require that you send foster children to a regular, either public or private, school program.

You are not required to own your own home to be licensed. You should check with your landlord before applying to be sure the landlord does not object.

No, foster children can share a room with foster parents until the child turns three. In addition, they may share a bedroom with children of the opposite sex until one of them turns five. Children of the same sex, who are five and older may share a bedroom. Everyone in the foster home (except the foster parents) must have their own bed.

Yes, in the foster home assessment, Wolverine Human Services will ask you about the types of children for whom you are willing to care. The agency’s final recommendation will be based on your preferences and the agency’s assessment of your skills and abilities, as well as the available space in your home.

You will be expected to work with Wolverine Human Services to meet the needs of children placed into your home. Training is required prior to licensure and annually after that for each person named on the license. You will need to keep the agency informed about changes to your family and home in order to maintain compliance with the foster home licensing rules.

The child placing agency will evaluate whether you have sufficient time to meet the needs of children who might be placed with you. There is no prohibition in the rules on working foster parents. Additionally, the foster family must have a legal source of income that is sufficient to meet the needs of the foster family. The State of Michigan will contribute to the childcare fees.